serenity.simplicity.passion.beauty.life

Finding l.u.x.u.r.y in the little things (and smirking at all the r.e.s.t)

Tuesday, October 31, 2006

"Life is full of beauty. Notice it. Notice the bumble bee, the small child, and the smiling faces. Smell the rain and feel the wind. Live your life to the fullest potential, and fight for your dreams."

I tell you, sometimes you really have to do those things in order to sit (sanely) through rush hour traffic. The more I think about it, doesn't it seem quite absurd to have the entire working world on the roadways at the same exact time? Why yes, I think it does. Although I admittedly do not have a proposed solution. But any of you who are part of the evil 9-5 task force know that rush hour traffic is one of those things that, even though you know exactly what to expect, you still become a tad frustrated each and every day. At least I do. There I am, hands gripping good old ten and two (and I mean gripping), trying my best to summon some type of teleporting abilities as I stare down the bumper of the vehicle directly infront of me. Jesus christ, get your ass moving! Step on it, lady! Let's go, let's go, let's go! ...ahhhh fuck. And then I regain consciousness and begin to tell myself: It's ok, Ashley. You're not going to make anyone move any faster. You are not going to get there any faster, either. The sooner you accept this, the sooner you can just relax and enjoy the salsa music that Rumbaaaa ciento cuatro punto cinco is now playing. (Breatheeee.) That's right..... ahhhh.......... fuckin A! God damn school zones! 15 miles per hour my ass! (Breathe, Ashley) Jesus H. Christ. And that's pretty much how the dialogue in my head pratters on during the entire 40 minute car ride to work. I really need to do something about that. Believe me, I've tried to notice the bumble bees, but it just happens to be that the weather is SHIT right now. I look out the window and my eyes get served with a dose of dried up, dead leaves poking through the small circle of window that my defroster has so kindly produced. Oh, 9-5's.

As miserable as that may sound, I'm actually in a rather cheery mood this morning. I think it has something to do with the Halloween candy that is awaiting me in my desk drawer. I'm going to try to hold out as long as I can, but I know it will get the best of me eventually. I mean, who can resist almond joys or Reese's peanut butter cups? I think I deserve some comfort food after that ridiculous ride through traffic. Great, that's not counterproductive to my weight loss goals or anything.

...to all of you fellow 9-5ers... try to notice the beauty in this world today. Whether that be your new fall sweater, the coffee that your boss has so kindly brought in, block number 23 on your November calendar, marking Thanksgiving, or even just the pretty font on your business card.

I will try to do the same. Happy Halloween!


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Add to Technorati Favorites